Table of contents
According to the studies, 25% of males and 12% of women experience hair loss by age 30. At 50, this percentage rises to 50% for men and 25% for women. An unhealthy lifestyle, improper food intake, and lack of hair care cause hair loss and breakage.
What is hair breakage?
Hair breakage is when the hair shaft breaks and then splits, making your hair shorter. The primary cause is hair strands losing their outer cover from constant exposure to heat styling tools and chemical treatments. To prevent this, you must take care of dryness in your hair, which is the main reason for damaged hair. Losing 100 strands daily is okay, but if you are losing more, hear the alarm and visit a dermatologist(recommended).
Hair thinning is often accompanied by issues like brittleness, excessive shedding, and unruly tangles - and it's a cue to cater to the demand and provide your hair with much-needed care and attention. These are some early signs of hair breakage, but there might be multiple underlying reasons for hair breakage.Suggested Reading - Top Hair Colors
What causes hair breakage?A lot of things can affect the process of hair breakage. Some are listed below-
- Diet- A poor diet can affect your hair health; proper intake of all the nutrients is equally crucial for your hair health. Including zinc, iron, and folic acid intake can work better for your hair.
- Stress- Hair loss and other hair-related issues are somehow linked to stress. Proper stress management can bring out better results if you already suffer from hair loss and breakage.
- Heat Damage- Styling and heating tools can result in poor hair health, making your hair dull and lifeless.
- Tying your hair tightly- Tying hair too tight exerts a lot of pressure on the scalp and hair cuticles. Also, it is common to encounter strands pulling out while undoing the ponytail.
- Overwashing- Exposing your scalp to water frequently leads to a weaker scalp and might lead to dry hair.
- Dryness- It is one of the primary reasons for hair breakage, as the cuticles weaken and the strands break independently. Using hot water to wash the hair can lead to dryness. Address the issue with the use of hair conditioners and hair masks.
- Hypothyroidism- When the thyroid gland produces insufficient thyroid hormone, this may lead to hair-related issues.
- Over combing- Too much of anything is wrong, including excessive combing and hair brushing. Combs and brushes pull your hair and exert pressure on the scalp.
How do you prevent dryness?
- —Keep your hair nourished, and oil your hair at regular intervals to keep the moisture intact.
- —Use fewer styling tools; avoid heating tools unless it's necessary.
- —Use a leave-in conditioner
- —Use a satin fabric pillow cover to protect your strand; cotton can be harsh.
- —Avoid bleaching or dyeing your hair for some time.
How do you stop hair breakage naturally at home?
Home remedies are something people trust! The natural ingredients at home have way better results than the chemical ones, which work slowly. If you are looking for answers to how to prevent hair breakage, here is a list of ingredients that can work on your hair and address the problem.
- Castor oil- Ricinoleic acid in castor oil increases blood circulation in the scalp, which promotes hair growth.
- Vitamins- Vitamin C, present in citrus fruits like oranges and lime, is essential for hair strength, and Vitamin D3, obtained from sunlight, is equally important for hair follicles.
- Coconut oil prevents the loss of protein from the hair; it also has anti-fungal properties, which are suitable for the scalp because they restrict dandruff.
- Sweet Almond Essential oil- Helps regain the lost luster and thickness of the hair and protects it from further damage and breakage.
- Argan oil- Rich in vitamins A, C & E, and omega-6 fatty acid that intensely nourishes your hair strand.
- Green tea is rich in antioxidants and boasts antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties. It also prevents your hair from thinning.
- Egg Hair Mask- Egg is a rich source of protein; it makes your hair soft and breakage-free. An egg hair mask reduces further damage.
- Aloe vera- Restores the lost pH of the hair. Aloe vera is known for its moisturizing properties.
- Garlic- It is rich in sulfur, which is also known as a building block of keratin.
- Apple Cider Vinegar(ACV)- helps balance the pH due to the presence of acetic acid. It can keep infections away.
- Avocado- The presence of vitamins and minerals acts as a natural conditioner; avocados are rich in omega-3 fatty acids.
- Carrot oil- Vitamins A and E and beta-carotene are essential for healthy hair.
- Grapeseed oil- Its lightweight property makes it different from other oils; this oil is rich in vitamins and antioxidants.
- Onion Juice- Onion juice is applied for more robust and healthier hair. It prevents hair fall and makes the roots stronger.
- Shea Butter- Best known for moisturizing and hydration, it prevents hair from breaking.
- Banana pack- Having a high potassium content that works wonders for the hair. Mixing it with olive oil makes it a rich mask for strengthening your hair.
These ingredients are essential for our hair as they focus on the generic problem and act. In Ayurveda, the plant Eclipta alba (BHRINGRAJ), known as the 'king of herbs' or false daisy, is a medicinal plant that treats hair-related issues like splits and breakage. A healthy diet promotes healthy hair. Use hair-nourishing products and give your hair a nutritious diet. Ensure you consume protein, healthy fats, and leafy greens. A vitamin supplement for hair and nails rich in silica, folic acid, sulfur, and B vitamins helps with healthy hair. Now that you know how to prevent hair breakage and what might help, start adopting good hair habits.